Sunday, March 23, 2008

getting God pt. 1

the other day, my friend Sam showed me a poem thing that he wrote. it was full of symbolism and metaphors, and it was definitely something he was proud of. i read it and immediately understood almost everything in the poem. he was kind of surprised, because some people didn't get it. they didn't understand what he had written.

i was thinking about this and realized that i understood all the things he wrote because i had known him for so long, and understood how he communicates and what he has been through. As i thought about this one little fact, something dawned on me so clearly that it felt like God smacked me in the face.

the more i know God, and have a real relationship with him, the more I'll comprehend what he is saying

when i start really knowing Him and his past, it will help me understand the bible more because i know how he communicates. what he has done helps translate what he says and does. how can you hear the voice of God if you don't know what his voice sounds like.

as i finished explaining my translation of the poem, i then began to realize that i learned something i didn't know about sam. this is what really caught me off guard. i knew what he had done but i didn't understand how he truly felt about it. which leads me back to this

the more i can understand the bible, the more i will learn about God

it's this cycle that creates an ever-growing relationship with our creator. and this relationship needs to be rooted in love and a passion to intentionally seek God.

it's through love we receive understanding